BRAN VAN 3000: The Answer Forum Index BRAN VAN 3000: The Answer
BRAN VAN 3000

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need new music yesterday!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BRAN VAN 3000: The Answer Forum Index -> bv3 at large
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWakeUpGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!!
Try this english band: Maximo Park Gouude!

http://placebolive8.altervista.org
www.theservantlive.co.uk
www.maximopark.forumfree.net
nickknatterton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing hi everyone (rulf is back)

i love gus gus too...i once saw them live in vienna...they are an amazing live band too even if you don't know in which setup they play (they consist of about 20 band members)

my favourite band at the moment....architecture in helsinki - give them a try....in some moments they remind me of bv3

other great music:
sufjan stevens
fat freddys drop and of course, broken social scene
braindead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hideleehow,

those artist ain't comparable with BV3, but you'd might like 'm too:

Postmen - Hip hop with reggea influences from Holland. Check out their first album 'Documents'

Babylon Circus - French band. Impossible to put a style on it.

Propellerheads - not all of their music is good. But when it's good it is VERY GOOD....

I do not like rock musiic that much....

Oh yeah, i almost forgot: Marley Marl's "HATERS" as produced on Hip Hop Dictionary (co produced by LL cool J)

thegecko

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

what up people....

hey you might wanna try "gnarls barkley", "handsome boy modeling school", "deltron 3030", "jem" and "the scissor sisters".

none of which can match the imaginative eclectic sounds of bv3g but if you make yourself a buttery-mix of the afore mentioned bands/groups and close your eyes, you may just for a half a second believe that all is well with the world.....or whatever Razz

snootches......
thegecko

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickknatterton wrote:
Laughing hi everyone (rulf is back)

i love gus gus too...i once saw them live in vienna...they are an amazing live band too even if you don't know in which setup they play (they consist of about 20 band members)

my favourite band at the moment....architecture in helsinki - give them a try....in some moments they remind me of bv3

other great music:
sufjan stevens
fat freddys drop and of course, broken social scene

checked out architecture in helsinki....very cool, reminded me of len. the apples in stereo are also cool....
ophelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickknatterton wrote:
other great music:
sufjan stevens

oh I love him. Such a nice voice.
blabla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

the solo album of Thom York ( Radiohead) named the eraser = WOOW!!!!
zach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 22:07    Post subject: Ah board admins... Reply with quote

I don't mind being rebuffed (as it was) but deleting my account without at least letting anyone know which line of etiquette I'd overstepped?

But I didn't create an account (which may be subsequently deleted) to complain. It happens.

I do run a website dedicated to music and art, which I feature (among other artists) Bran Van 3000. I had mentioned a podcast if memory serves, which I was building around Bran Van songs, I guess you could say it's dedicated to Bran Van, but really its the idea they embodied so well: collaboration.

Anyway, with the wordiness out of the way I just wanted to let that one person who was interested know the podcast is now complete. I'd link the frontpage, where you can subscribe to the podcast, but my best guess is someone thought I was trolling these boards, so a direct link to the podcast (the item link) is here:

http://www.popexperiment.com/les-autres/

And *definitely* not to be patronizing (this isn't my board, I'm just a guest, I understand that) if this post *does* get deleted could you just leave me a note saying: you are not allowed to [do thing] sorry, I've killed your account.

At least that way I'll have a better understanding and I'll either know how to correct my behavior (I'm really not out on the web to fight) or know that this isn't a board I should post on (I can read and live with that). :)

Best regards.

Zach

Last edited by zach on Thu Aug 10, 2006 15:25; edited 1 time in total
sd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 16:06    Post subject: Re: Ah board admins... Reply with quote

zach wrote:
I don't mind being rebuffed (as it was) but deleting my account without at least letting anyone know which line of etiquette I'd overstepped?

I deleted a bunch (100 or so) of spam accounts. At the time I think an alarm went in my head because I had made a mistake, but it was to late, so I just let it slip. I'm sorry.

Spam is getting to be a big fucking problem here and I don't know what to do.

zach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 15:23    Post subject: Re: Ah board admins... Reply with quote

sd wrote:
zach wrote:

I deleted a bunch (100 or so) of spam accounts. At the time I think an alarm went in my head because I had made a mistake, but it was to late, so I just let it slip. I'm sorry.

Spam is getting to be a big fucking problem here and I don't know what to do.

Thanks. And not a problem, I knew posting about an outbound site could look spammy or trollish anyway so I was trying to tread lightly. I definately appreciate your response *and* your problem.

Your forum theme is great BTW. Have you looked at the Anti Bot Question Hack (I use Word Press with a extention called Spam Karma 2 which works very well, but doesn't appear to have been ported to phpBB).

Anyway, thanks again for clearing things up.

Ciao!
zach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 16:19    Post subject: Podcast aside... Reply with quote

I guess my list of Bran Vanish favorites would be:

Princess Superstar (hey, she's a STAR!)
Diplo, just because I think he'd do amazing collaberative work with BV.
Telepopmusik, they focus a little bit more on being slick (BV always impressed me by being ready to laugh) but they genre-hop well and have a good sound.
Terranova is a bit rowdy, but there's something there.
Nitin Sawhney is kind of like an Indian BV. Slightly anyway.
Indian Music Collective, simply because I mentioned Nitin. Its a collaberative project with Walk Skip Run Glide and Sandhya Sanjana. I'm not sure if you can get it anywhere but its worth a listen if you like mixing culture as well as style (I think BV did).
Paul D. Miller should do the second BV remix album (after Diplo). It would be heavier, but Abstract Blowback is amazing and he knows how to work with different styles.
Radium 88 would be great to see play *with* Bran Van. Their definately different, but there's a little overlap and they are pretty fun (Tim Thwaites is also a regular gent).
Pepito, they've got so much potential and I bet working with Bran Van they'd find it, fast.
M.I.A. who is not only fun to listen to (and watch) but amazingly talented.

From there I'd probably start to decline into my Morr sound stable.

Lali Puna, Ms. John Soda, Styrofoam, Guitar (another gent), Manual, Populous, some of ISAN's collaberative/remix work. Outside the morr family Carrie (check myspace), Judith Juillerat (darker, but French and interesting), Psapp (now on Domino records), Efterklang (since someone mentioned Sigur Ros), Shiny Toy Guns (alarmingly good new wave, I know, it sounds weird), Stars (who come from the Broken Social Scene collective, which is a pretty varied project itself), Emiliana Torrini's first solo album (Love in the time of science), The Notwist (I already admited I have a thing for the 'morr' sound), Sultana (worth mentioning, even if her sound is more traditional hip-hop, because she's amazing and Turkish, which definately makes me think a collaberative piece with BV would be excellent), Electrelane (4 parts rock, 2 parts Stereo Lab and 1 part Bran Van), Cocorosie (because if Bran Van took a lot of acid and became an all [two] girl band this is what you'd have...maybe), Ivy (because their only *almost* too smooth) and I'll leave off with Club 8, because that one will probably puzzle you guys more then the rest (until you try listening to a playlist with a couple of there albums and find yourself checking to see who's playing, again).

Oh, and Caroline I think (another myspace) but I *just* got the album.

I'll be the first to admit I've had too much caffeine. :)

Ciao!

Best everyone!
tonio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 21:13    Post subject: Re: Ah board admins... Reply with quote

zach wrote:

http://www.popexperiment.com/les-autres/

Thanks! That's great! Very Happy
happygolucky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zach!! Fantastic!! Very Happy
zach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

happygolucky wrote:
Thanks Zach!! Fantastic!! Very Happy

Thank you tonio, happygolucky.
zach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 21:57    Post subject: Not to beat a dead horse.. Reply with quote

But because my job puts me into contact with new artists regularly I thought I might mention a couple more.

Personally, I always classified Bran Van in the Hip-Hop area. Not that that fits strictly, but they moved deftly between styles and kind of wove it all together with a solid hip-hop construction. Just my opinion, granted. :)

That said this week I've spent some time trolling myspace (haters, I feel you, its slow and from an application/engineering standpoint its a dog).

Apologies out of the way:
http://www.myspace.com/lovelysounds
http://www.myspace.com/envichild
http://www.myspace.com/tigarah

That covers a bit of range and Iceland, Poland and Japan. I keep a rather long list but a lot of it is backlog (I've got no idea what I marked at 3:14 am Saturday morning) and stuff that probably wouldn't work for the board.

Of the 3 artists I couldn't say which one was the nicest to talk to because they all had such amazing attitudes. I love musicians who love music. :)
Afrodizisnack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:56    Post subject: New music? Reply with quote

What about RJD2? How 'bout Lederhosen Lucil? Or maybe Kid Koala?

Here are some good sites to check out also:
blentwell.com
D*I*R*T*Y
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music
ninjatune
something fun
Ropeadope
Bran Van 3000 listings on gemm.com

Enjoi Very Happy
Afrodizisnack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, check these guys out too.
tonio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Do you know WaxTailor? I love it!
Afrodizisnack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am liking this too! I love on their website how they sample from this little project about the Amen Break...

h77p://nkhstudio.com/pages/amen_mp4.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BRAN VAN 3000: The Answer Forum Index -> bv3 at large All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: